Holly Holm’s struggles to return to the Octagon continue as the former UFC champion is forced to retire from her next main event.
Holm (14-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC), a former UFC women’s bantamweight titleholder, suffered a knee injury that resulted in her scheduled clash with Norma Dumont (6-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 195 on October 16.
MMA Junkie verified the news with someone familiar with the situation who requested anonymity. MMA reporter Ariel Helwani first reported the news on Substack.
UFC Fight Night 195 takes place at UFC Apex in Las Vegas. The event is broadcast on ESPN +.
Holm, 39, was due to face Julianna Pena in May but was forced to step down due to a kidney problem requiring surgery. She was booked to return to 145 pounds for the first time since June 2018 with the fight against Dumont, but that will not materialize.
“The Preacher’s Daughter” hasn’t fought since an October 2020 win over Irene Aldana at UFC on ESPN 16.
Dumont, meanwhile, was looking for a signing victory on her resume after securing back-to-back wins over Felicia Spencer and Ashlee Evans-Smith. The Brazilian struggled to gain weight at bantamweight, so she switched to featherweight.
It’s unclear at this time whether the UFC intends to book a new main event in the short term or to mount an existing fight to the headliner.
The latest UFC Fight Night 195 lineup includes:
- Norma Dumont against the opponent to be determined
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Carlos Felipe
- Andrew Sanchez vs. Bruno Silva
- Manon Fiorot vs. Mayra Bueno Silva
- Julian Marquez vs. Jordan Wright
- Ramazan Emeev vs. Danny Roberts
- Luana Carolina vs. Sijara Eubanks
- Ludovit Klein vs. Nate Landwehr
- Da Un Jung vs. Kennedy Nzechukwu
- Marcelo Rojo vs. Daniel Santos
- Ariane Carnelossi vs. Istela Nunes
- Danaa Batgerel vs. Brandon Davis