The highly anticipated Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games are just days away. The quadrennial event will begin on July 28 in Birmingham, UK and will run until August 8, 2022. A total of 215 athletes will represent India in the 11-day global event. We will witness the power of women in this tournament as many Indian women will be participating in CWG 2022.
Indian women candidates for Commonwealth Games 2022
Indian women in athletics
India in the 4x 100 relay team have a good chance of winning a medal with players like Dhanalakshmi Sekar, Dutee Chand, Hima Das, Srabani Nanda, MV Jilna and NS Simi. In the shot put, Manpreet Kaur who holds many titles like no. 1 and a national record of 18.86m also raises high hopes for a medal for India.
- Dhanalakshmi Sekar – women’s 100m and 4x100m relay
- Jyothi Yarraji – 100m hurdles women
- Aishwarya B – women’s long jump and triple jump
- Ancy Sojan – women’s long jump
- Manpreet Kaur – female shot put
- Navjeet Kaur Dhillon – female discus throw
- Seema Punished – female discus throw
- Annu Rani – female javelin throw
- Shilpa Rani – female javelin throw
- Manju Bala Singh – female hammer throw
- Sarita Romit Singh – female hammer throw
- Bhawna Jat – 10km women’s walk
- Priyanka Goswami – 10km women’s walk
- Hima Das – women’s 4x100m relay
- Duty Chand – women’s 4x100m relay
- Srabani Nanda – women’s 4x100m relay
- MV Jilna – women’s 4x100m relay
- BORN. simi – women’s 4x100m relay.
READ | Commonwealth Games 2022 | Meet India’s men’s and women’s hockey team | Know the match times
Indian women in badminton
In badminton, PV Sindhu, whose current world ranking is 7th, could add another medal to the Indian record. In women’s doubles, the 19-year-old duo, Gayathri Gopichand and Treesa Jolly are expected to participate for the first time and also have a good chance of winning a medal.
- PV Sindhu (Women’s)
- Aakarshi Kashyap (Women’s)
- Treesa Jolly (Women’s)
- Gayatri Gopichand (Women’s)
- Ashwini Ponappa (Women’s)
Indian women in boxing
Nikhat Zareen, who recently won the 2022 World Championship gold medal in Istanbul, also has a great chance of getting gold for India. Olympic bronze medalist in the 70kg category Lovlina Borgohain can make history at Birmingham 2022.
Indian women in cricket
The Indian women’s cricket team led by Harmanpreet Kaur has a high chance of making it to the 2022 CWG Finals as they have performed well in their previous international events. After the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur (1998), cricket will once again feature in Birmingham in 2022. This time a Women’s T20I format will be played at CWG 2022.
The Indian women’s hockey team gave a diligent performance at the Tokyo 2021 Olympics which boosted their confidence and ultimately helped them add another medal for India at the CWG 2022.
Indian Women’s Hockey Team for CWG 2022
- Guardians: Savita Punia (captain), Rajani Etimarpu
- Defenders: Deep Grace Ekka (vice-captain), Gurjit Kaur, Nikki Pradhan, Udita
- Midfielders: Nisha, Sushila Chanu Pukhrambam, Monika, Neha, Jyoti, Navjot Kaur, Salima Tete
- Attackers: Vandana Katariya, Lalremsiami, Navneet Kaur, Sharmila Devi, Sangita Kumari.
READ | Know Indian Commonwealth Games Athletics Medal Count
Wrestling – Indian Women’s Team
Strong contenders, Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat can increase the number of medals for India in the wrestling event at CWG 2022. Experienced wrestler, Vinesh Phogat picked up the gold medal in women’s 50kg freestyle wrestling at the Games 2018 Commonwealth Games. Babita Phogat, double silver medalist at the Commonwealth Games (2010, 2018) will not be able to participate this time.
- Pooja Gehlot (50kg)
- Vinesh Phogat (53kg)
- Anshu Malik (57kg)
- Sakshi Malik – 62 kg women
- Divya Kakran – Women’s 68kg
- Pooja Sihag – 76kg women.
Indian women in weightlifting
Mirabai Chanu, a silver medalist at the Tokyo Olympics, will lead the 12-member team. She surprisingly won gold at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. Mirabai Chanu in the 49kg weightlifting category can add gold to India’s medal tally.
- Mirabai Chanu – 49kg women,
- Bindyarani Devi – 55kg women,
- Hazarika Poppy – 59kg women,
- Usha Kumara – 87kg women,
- purnima pandey – +87kg women
India’s table tennis squad for Birmingham 2022 comprises eight players and they are selected during a week-long national camp held in May. Manika Batra is the first Indian woman to win a gold medal in women’s singles at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
— Advertising —
- Manika Batra,
- Diya Chitale,
- Sreja Akula,
- Reeth Rishya,
- Swastika Ghosh (Reserve).
Indian Women in Judo: CWG 2022
Sushila Likmabam, a judo player who came second at Glasgow CWG in the 48kg weight class in the judo event, has high hopes for India at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- L Shushila Devi – -48 kg women
- Suchika Tariyal – -57 kg women
- Tulika Maan – +78 kg women