Nathaniel Wood and Charles Jourdain have a reputation for not missing fighters – and they once again lived up to the hype at UFC Fight Night 209.
During the main card opener at the Accor Arena in Paris, Wood (19-5 MMA, 6-2 cfu) defeated Jourdain (13-6-1 MMA, 4-5-1 cfu) by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28) in a fun back and forth.
Early on, Wood found success with one out, but wasn’t able to muster many significant offenses in the grappling department. While Wood seemed to keep an open mind when it came to where he wanted to take the fight, Jourdain was less keen on dragging the fight to the canvas.
Back on the feet, Jourdain tagged Wood, who moments later after a timeout caused by a foul landed his own rocking shot.
Good action in Round 1 sank in Round 2, although there was a little more caution from each man as the fight progressed. There was a lot of fighting in the phone booths during the round. Spinning strikes appeared, as did leg sweep attempts. The two men connected frequently, with offense clearly being their prerogative.
The fighters received a standing ovation from the eager Paris crowd at the start of Round 3. The journeys continued successfully for Wood, who was near perfect in attempts – although what followed was generally not outstanding. Elbows were a major weapon in ranged battle. Wood found a second wind late in landing fast combinations with swagger on the bloody Jordan.
The fight ended, the crowd cheered, and moments later Wood was named the winner.
— UFC (@ufc) September 3, 2022
With the win, Wood extends a standalone victory into a two-fight winning streak and remains undefeated at featherweight. In July, Wood made his division debut by defeating Charles Rosa in London.
As for Jourdain, the loss marks two in a row – the first two-fight slip of his professional career. The other loss came in July when Jourdain lost a thrilling majority decision to Shane Burgos.
The UFC Fight Night 209 minute results include:
- Nathaniel Wood won. Charles Jourdain via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Abusupiyan Magomedov defeated. Dustin Stoltzfus via TKO (kick, punches) – Round 1, 0:19
- Nasrat Haqparast defeats. John Makdessi via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Fares Ziam defeated. Michal Figlak via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Benoît Saint-Denis defeated. Gabriel Miranda via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:16
- Christian Quinonez defeated. Khalid Taha via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:15
- Stephanie Egger defeated. Ailin Perez via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 4:54
For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s Event Hub for UFC Fight Night 209.