Orion Cosce drops out of next UFC fight after contracting COVID-19, brother Louis accepts next fight | Lost Coast Outpost

0

Orion Cosce (left), Louis Cosce (right). | Photos provided by the Cosce family

Humboldt’s Orion Cosce has scrapped his next fight at UFC 271 after the unvaccinated fighter reportedly contracted COVID-19 last month.

The UFC does not require its athletes to be vaccinated. However, Cosce told the Outpost that the illness left him unable to train for about three weeks while he was in quarantine and recovering. With less than a month to get back into fighting shape before his fight with Mike “Blood Diamond” Mathetha, Cosce decided to call off the fight.

“It sucks,” Cosce said. “I like to fight so it really sucks since I was going to have the opportunity to be on a big card. Hopefully when I’m ready I can [get] on another pay-per-view. I love fighting in front of crowds.

At the height of his illness, Cosce said he suffered from mucus buildup in his lungs, cold sweats and body aches. While the illness cost him a spot on a major UFC card, Cosce said he is currently not considering getting a COVID-19 shot.

“I’m not vaccinated, and honestly I have no interest in doing so,” said the 27-year-old Weitchpec native. “It always leads to more reminders now, as well as a fact: money doesn’t help improve a vaccine, time and research do. If people want to get vaccinated, good for them.

Cosce said he still isn’t 100% healthy, but once he recovers he hopes to get back to his full training schedule and possibly get another fight in the spring.

In the meantime, he plans to help his brother Louis train for his upcoming fight against Preston Parsons at UFC Fight Night 208 on April 23.

###

PREVIOUSLY:


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.