The long-awaited mixed martial arts debut of amateur wrestler Pat Downey will have to wait.
A former Division I All-American, Downey (0-0 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) pulled out of his scheduled April 15 fight at Bellator 277 after being diagnosed with topical steroid withdrawal syndrome on Tuesday, also known as “red skin syndrome”. ”
Downey posted a series of graphic images and videos on his Instagram before the diagnosis, which showed his neck and chest breaking out in a red, oozing rash.
“Between this progressively worsening undiagnosed flesh-eating disease and the recent tearing of my MCL/ankle, I’m not sure I can make my professional MMA debut on April 15th,” Downey wrote in a post.
In a follow-up post, Downey revealed his diagnosis after seeing an allergist. He said it was his eighth visit to the doctor in six days. Downey attributed the health issue to stopping the use of topical cortisone creams, oral medications and injections. Downey has an MRI scheduled for Monday.
“The worst side effect of this is the inability to feel comfortable,” Downey wrote. “Insomnia is ab*tch and I miss sleeping, working out, walking my dog, and most importantly; sleeping with a beautiful South Florida woman.
MMA Junkie has since confirmed with a Bellator official that Downey is officially out of his scheduled fight against Daniel Compton (4-3 MMA, 0-1 BMMA). The event will continue without him at the SAP Center in San Jose, California.
Downey, 29, was a member of USA Wrestling’s World Team, ranked No. 10 in the world, an undefeated senior-level circuit in 2019, a Dave Schultz Memorial International champion, a competitor at the US Open and World Teams Trials, and NCAA All-American.
With this addition, the Bellator 277 lineup includes:
- Champion AJ McKee vs. Patricio Freire – for Featherweight Title
- Champion Vadim Nemkov vs. Corey Anderson – for Light Heavyweight Title, Grand Prix Final
- Jeremy Kennedy vs. Aaron Pico
- Tyrell Fortune vs. Steve Mowry
- Tim Johnson vs. Linton Vassell
- Kyle Crutchmer vs. Michael Lombardo
- Shane Keefe vs. Tyson Miller
- Gaston Bolanos vs. Cass Bell
- Alan Benson vs. Theo Haig
- Edwin De Los Santos vs. Alberto Mendez
- Calob Ramirez vs. Bobby Seronio III
- Daniel Compton vs. TBA