A pair of UFC bantamweights have been reserved for the launch in May.
Friday, Iridium Sports Agency announced that their clients Vince Morales and Jonathan Martinez will fight May 21 at an as-yet-unannounced UFC event. A source close to the situation was able to confirm the bantamweight matchup with Cageside Press.
Morales (11-5) has finally hit his stride in the UFC after going 1-3 in his first four fights with the promotion. In his last outing, he starched Louis Smolka in two minutes at UFC on ESPN: Font vs. Aldo. Prior to that, he returned from a layoff after tearing up his Achillies to defeat Drako Rodriguez at UFC 265. The 31-year-old was expected to face Nathaniel Wood on short notice at UFC London; however, he was not cleared due to illness.
Martinez (15-4) is riding a two-fight winning streak since being knocked out in early 2021. He just picked up a unanimous decision over Alejandro Perez in February, and before that he handed Zviad Lazishvili his first professional defeat.
🚨 #TeamIridium Fight News 🚨
— IridiumSportsAgency (@TeamIridiumISA) April 15, 2022
The May 21, 2022 UFC event is set to take place at the UFC Apex. No broadcast plan has been announced at this time.
The May fight card currently breaks down as follows:
- Ketlen Vieira vs. Holly Holm
- Ben Rothwell vs. Alexander Gustafsson
- Santiago Ponzinibbio vs Michel Pereira
- Felipe Colares vs. Chase Hooper
- Tabatha Ricci vs Polyana Viana
- Omar Morales vs. Uros Medic
- Joseph Holmes vs Alen Amedovsk
- Jailton Almeida vs. Maxim Grishin
- Duško Todorović vs. Chidi Njokuani
- Vince Morales vs Jonathan Martinez